- accurate assessment and application of confined areas
- slinging and long line proficiency
- able to work and excel in an operational environment
- thorough knowledge of the aircraft and its capabilities
- safe and accurate control of the aircraft, not only in basic exercises but during emergencies and advanced maneuvers
- professional, competent and independent decision making
Kelowna International Airport (CYLW) is the tenth busiest airport in Canada
- fully controlled radar environment
- develops very high proficiency in radio communication
- exclusive helicopter training areas on airport
- multiple training locations for confined areas and mountain flying introduction within the control zone
- minimal ferry time to a wide variety of different and increasingly challenging practice areas located just outside of the control zone
- Kelowna offers the best blend of controlled and uncontrolled practice areas allowing students to enjoy the most productive use of their training time.
We have chosen the Okanagan area in order to enable us to achieve the highest possible results from you, to be an employable commercial helicopter pilot. The dynamic and challenging environment with various mountainous winds and weather includes:
- low-lying open areas used for basic training as well as for emergency and advanced exercises
- heavily forested areas throughout a wide variation of elevation changes(confined area work)
- mountainous terrain with peaks to 9000 ft.
Several uncontrolled airports in close proximity to Kelowna, used for cross country navigation, flight training, radio and emergency procedures.
Okanagan Mountain Helicopters Premium Training Program focuses on operational flying skills
- long line practice
- an introduction to mountain flying
- pad landings
- hover exit training
- winter operations
Primary Training Equipment:
- Robinson R22 (two seats)
- Robinson R44 (four seats)
Optional Training Resources:
- Bell 206 (five seats)
- FRASCA 131 flight simulator
Your career started with Okanagan Mountain Helicopters will give you the skills and the knowledge to achieve your personal aviation goals.
‘Okanagan Mountain Helicopters is summed up in just a few words; great location and terrain for training, exceptional instruction, well maintained aircraft. Top that off with extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff, this is a great place to begin an exciting career!’ Robert (Bear) Rotzetter